Recognition and Equivalence
Recognition of Title of Studies
The title of the same specialty of the public universities of the Republic or other public higher education institutes in Cyprus is taken as a reference point for the recognition of qualification equivalence or equivalence and correspondence, depending on the case.
Types of recognition
KYSATS awards two types of recognition:
- Equivalence, awarded if the duration of studies, the conditions of admission, evaluation, promotion and graduation of students and the teaching and learning procedures meet the requirements of the University of Cyprus or the other State Higher and Tertiary Education Institutions of Cyprus. Furthermore, the whole programme of studies has been conducted in recognised educational institution/institutions or it has been conducted in an educationally evaluated-accredited programme of study and a substantial part of the studies has been conducted in the institution which awards the qualification. Equivalence is also awarded, under certain conditions, for non traditionally awarded degrees such as those obtained from Open Universities, distance learning or external programmes.
- Equivalence and correspondence, awarded if, in addition to the prerequisites for recognition of equivalence, the specific programme of studies includes at least two thirds of the required subjects including the compulsory subjects of the corresponding programme of the institution which is used as the basis for evaluation. For certain programmes of studies the Council may require the attendance and success in examination in additional subjects in order to award equivalence and correspondence.
- As a point of reference for the recognition of a qualification, the corresponding programme of the public universities of Cyprus or the other Public Tertiary Education Institutions of Cyprus is taken into account. In case there is no corresponding programme in the above Institutions then the corresponding programme of Higher Education Institutions of other countries and particularly of the European Union countries is taken as the reference.
- The procedure of recognition of qualifications involves the appointment by KYSATS of committees, comprised of specialists in the subjects related to the disciplines submitted for recognition. The specialists are university professors. The committees submit their recommendations to the Council of KYSATS which decides about the equivalence or equivalence and correspondence of the specific qualification.
- In case the applicant is not satisfied with the decision of the Council, he/she has the right to apply for a re-evaluation of his/her application within a month from the date that has been informed of the Council’s decision.